To see how it was decorated by the previous owners go HERE.
We moved to this house after living in an apartment in Michigan. We were poor and had less expensive things which were great for our time in Michigan, but not something we wanted in a master bedroom long term. Don't be too harsh from these photos. I think we had just moved in, I was sick pregnant with Jack, and I was pregnancy induced depressed. Not really the right ingredients for being motivated to make things look good.
Wow! It's worse than I thought. No bed skirt, unpainted Ikea bookcases and Ikea lamps. Handed down headboard and Target duvet cover. The duvet cover was so nice in Michigan. It brightened our little bedroom and just made me happy when I walked in. You will see in the redo pictures that I have gone almost the total opposite direction. Oh and the ceiling fan, outie~
Do you see those sheer curtains? They were EVERYWHERE in this house when we moved in. The tan sheers are still in our bedroom and a set remains in Ellie's room, but they are gone everywhere else. Including said living room.
This dresser is now painted and in my dining room and soon to be moved to the playroom in the basement (if we ever finish it). The dog has graduated from his crate days and we don't need the baby rocker anymore...... at least not right now.
I really am cringing at these photos. You don't realize how far you've come until you look back.
So let's move onto the now. Introducing the "new" master bedroom.......
My inspiration came from a trip we took to France a few year ago with some great friends. I wanted a French classic look and I think I've gotten just what I wanted. Handsome is the word I would use to describe it.
Do you notice the major difference? That's right, we did a flopper. We switched our bed to the other side of the room. I LOVE it! While I realize that most people want the bed to be the focal point when you walk in a room, I just wanted a little more "privacy". It also frees up a huge wall for me to do something with. I'm dreaming of a reading area and huge wall of family photos.
The nightstands came from JCPenny and are a his and hers. They are only linked by color. The lamps are from HomeGoods and the bed is from Crate and Barrel. I was really nervous about having an rod iron bed but I have made sure we have lots of pillows and it's worked out fine. I think it is a perfect mix of masculine and feminine.
The picture above our bed I found at Goodwill. That's right - Goodwill!! It was just what I was looking for and really brings the room together.
How'd you like the chandelier? I love the look but it's not practical from any stand point. We really could have used a ceiling fan this summer and it gives off too much light for a bedroom. I think half the battle of making a bedroom feel warm and inviting is the night lighting. Our two side lamps are just enough.
As for the wall treatment behind our bed, that is courtesy of Greg. He's such a good sport for putting time into projects I drum up. He did a great job.
Future plans for the room: I want to put a window box above our windows, I want to do a stencil on the big wall, and I want to create a reading area with a small couch and lamp. All in good time. For now it's where I need it to be to make me happy at the end of the day. I hope you've enjoyed it too.
Disclaimer - I was playing around with my camera and some of the pictures are a bit blurry. I'm learning, remember?
Disclaimer - I was playing around with my camera and some of the pictures are a bit blurry. I'm learning, remember?

6 comments:
lovely! It's so inviting, relaxing, and elegant.
wow, i think your room is amazing! beautiful. it's really a big change, too. i like the chandelier. nice job megs.
"at least not right now" . . . huh. like not right now, but perhaps in 8 months? haha. :)
Great job Megan! You did a great job! I wish I had some kind of design talent... so jealous! :)
Now this just made my week!!! I LOVE IT!! that really was such a fun trip huh:)? Makes me smile just thinking about it! You did an amazing job with the bedroom!!!!!!! It is so beautiful and has a fantastic french classic feel. You are so amazing, I love all the extras and I can't believe you got the painting at goodwill!! (btw, I have something coming for you still from my little contest that will work great in the room-I'm just VERY slow:) I'm excited to see the room put together!! great job, you are a rockstar. Miss you!
p.s. I love the chandelier, you can't not have a chandelier if you are going for anything French:) Also- you and those snails! that is the only snail I've ever seen that I actually like! I still will never eat one though.
Absolutely beautiful!
Post a Comment