Thursday, May 06, 2010

She's Five





On Monday our way too quickly growing first born turned 5.  I can't believe it.  It is so amazing to think that she was a helpless little thing just 5 short years ago.  It has gone so quickly.
The love I have for this girl is beyond words.  She is beautiful, kind, loving, stubborn, determined, and a pleasure - most of the time.

She was thrilled that just days before her 5th birthday she lost her first tooth.  She was prancing around the house declaring, "This is the luckiest day of my life."  She's seemed to have a lot of those "lucky" days lately. 

We had her party on Saturday and about 11 of her friends.  I was a bit nervous about it, but it all came together great.  We rode scooters and bikes in the cul-de-sac, then did a craft, played pin the tail on the donkey, had a pinata, and opened presents followed by cake and ice cream.  She loved the whole thing and got some fun presents.

Ellie has many wonderful traits about her, but there is one I would like to highlight here.  The girl is determined.  If she really wants something, she will not give up until she either gets it or is very strongly told no.  This can be aggravating at times, but I know it is something that will serve her well, and already has.  For example, she taught herself at a very young age to hula-hoop.  I pity anyone who would challenger her to a contest.  The girl can move her hips for hours if needed.  She also really wanted to learn to ride her two-wheeler bike from Christmas.  It took her about a week to get the hang of it.  At her party she was the only one riding a bike without training wheels.  I was so proud of her for accomplishing this.  She hates to hurt herself and bike riding is a dangerous sport for skinned knees.  I thought she wouldn't learn for awhile, but she set her mind on it and did it.

It is so fun to watch her learn and grow.  I will miss her a lot this year when she starts kindergarten, but I know she's ready.  She will love it and I can't wait to see all she learns.

3 comments:

emily said...

aw what a beauty. a determined beauty. i am excited to get to see her (and her whole family!) in just a short time. :)

Kara and Chant said...

she is such a sweet girl and i am glad Brinn has such a great friend. Thanks for the talk last night. You are great! And thanks for all the planning. It was a nice party!

Britt said...

Happy Birthday, Ellie! It's amazing how fast she's grown... I'm not surprised in the least at how determined she is! She's like her mama! What a cutie. And I want video of her hula-hooping!