
So this weekend we ventured out to the St. Louis County Air Show. It was $8.00/person to get in and I didn't want to pay that, so we parked on a side road and watched from a distance. It was great. I LOVED IT!!! There is just something about airplanes that gets me very excited. I could watch airplanes take off and land all day and never get tired of it. I think it is the amazing amount of power they have. I love to hear the roar of the engines and see the speed at which they can travel. They have and will always fascinate me. There is only one person to blame for this - my dad.
An A-4My dad is a pilot. He started his flying carrier in the Marines flying A-4. (If you don't know what they look like, pull "Top Gun" out and watch the scenes from the training school. All the instructors flew A-4.) He now works for UPS flying big jumbo jets. I have heard some really cool stories about planes and flying. We used to call airplane a 4 letter word because if someone said it at the dinner table the next hour of conversation would revolve around aviation. So you can say I was hooked at at young age.
It will come as no surprise then, that my favorite part of the airshow was the Blue Angels. Their power and speed was amazing. They flew right over us several times and I almost started crying from the emotion. I guess they brought out a deep pride and patriotism I have for this country. They are a great symbol to me of the power and strength of this nation. We are so fortunate and I know that I truly take that for granted at times.
I was so excited to share my passion and intrigue with Ellie. She did enjoy them and kept talking about them all day. "Airplane. Fast." - and then she would make a sound like they do when they fly over you. So cute.
Greg humored me well. He doesn't share my passion, but he went to the show twice for my sake. On the way home he just chuckled at me and told me I was a very confusing girl. He has great reason to say that. I can't stand to fly.
4 comments:
ha, you are a funny girl. :)
glad you had fun!
i'm with you. i LOVE air shows, but unlike you, i actually like flying.
Jere loves the Blue Angels, too. I've never been to an air show, though. Sounds like great fun. And just having come home on a plane, I'd say I really like flying just as long as I don't sit next to some psycho. :)
In Washington we used to watch them fly over our house. I would tell the kids "there go my boys". At first they thought I knew the "boys" up there. Cole thought (first grade) they were coming by to say hi- quick flyby. Then a year or two later they figured mommy was just dreaming. It is such a rush to watch and hear them. It is amazing. They have the right (my opinion) to strut when they plant their feet on solid ground.
Tiff
Post a Comment