Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Torture Chamber


Have you ever really taken a minute to think about what exercise gyms really are? I have decided that they are places where we willing go and pay to torture ourselves. I do it almost everyday.

So what drives us to do such a thing to ourselves? There are many things, but the top one has to be vanity. If we all really didn't care about what we looked like, we wouldn't put so much effort into it. Now, I know of the wonderful health benefits of it, but that alone is not what gets me to the gym. The drive behind it is really hoping to look like I did before I had a baby and when I was in high school. I have always had really muscular legs and have always thought I looked fat because of it. There is a picture of me when I was younger - probably in the 4th or 5th grade - in my swimming suit and cap. My mom took it to document my involvement in competitive swimming. I remember looking at the photo back then and thinking I was so fat. Now I look at it and only wish my body looked so good.

So, I guess this is why I willingly subject myself to "cruel and unusual punishment"on a daily basis. The great thing is that we tend to do it in numbers. I think we do this to feel even better about ourselves. Come on, don't you think it's easier to keep running on the treadmill, when you really don't want to, if the person next to you is 20 yrs your senior and has been running at a full tilt for 30 minutes longer than you? Or, there's an instructor yelling at you to keep going when your arms feel like they are going to fall off from doing so many push-ups?


But vanity and "strength in numbers" aside, I also do it because I love to eat. I love to try new things and explore in my cooking. I am extremely envious of all those people out there with the will power to try just one chip and dip or only eat two bites of ice cream. To me that is not enjoying your food. When it's time to eat, it's time to EAT!


So with that little tid bit of information, you will never see me winning any swimsuit contest or having a body all the girls envy, but do know that when the boys sit down to eat, I have no problem sitting with them. But do know that I will be back in the gym the next day sweatin' with the best of them so I can eat again and hopefully, someday, be closer to that youthful body I once had.


How willingly self-indulgent and vain is that?

2 comments:

emily said...

hey, if vanity is helping us be healthy, then i don't think it's so bad! :)

but, for me, i honestly think the number one reason i exercise is for my mental health. i do think it goes hand-in-hand with physical health and looks, too, though. but the O-natural endorphins from exercise are enough to get me out there - even when i know i'm not losing weight from the torture.

even if i don't look better from exercise, i ALWAYS feel better. and that's enough for me to WANT to be tortured each and every day.

erinmalia said...

holy moly megan, you could have been ghost-writing for me. this is exactly why i run. a little bit is emily's reason of mental health. i really really believe in endorphins, but mostly i LOVE to eat. if i want a whole box of hot tamales, well that's okay because i know i'm running 6 miles tomorrow. i like not having to feel bad about what i eat, because i know i exercise.