Friday, May 11, 2007

Taking a Stand

As many of you may have noticed, I have changed the blog up a bit. I get tired of the same old thing all the times, so expect a change every now and then. Now on to the reason for this blog.

WHAT EVER IT TAKES
I go the the YMCA almost everyday (another blog will be dedicated to this) to workout. I frequently run on the treadmills in their fitness center. They have about 5-6 TVs set up for your viewing pleasure. I don't know how this happens, but I always end up on treadmills about in the middle which focus me on a TV dialed into station 88.1 and on this TV is always playing CMT. Now, I like country music. I would have to say it is my music of choice - all I need to say is Tim McGraw. Anyway, I have been less then impressed with the contents of this channel. On several occasions I have seen very sultry, provocative images displayed in the videos. A few weeks ago Greg and I were there and they were showing a model show that had very scantily dressed girls. It was disgusting and totally unnecessary. Not only did I not want to watch it, but I didn't want my husband watching it either - so off I marched to the desk and requested them to change it. Thankfully they did and were very understanding. Well, this week it happened again. There I was running, trying to concentrate on reading the Ensign of all things, and there was this disgusting video on that was very inappropriate. Off I marched again to have them change it, and thankfully they again did. But this time I took it a step further. I went down to the front desk and filed a formal complaint asking them not to play this station anymore since I don't feel it reflects the family and moral values the YMCA is trying to uphold. I haven't heard anything back and today it was still playing (but content was o.k.).

I have to say I'm proud of myself. Not in a boastful "look at me" sort of way, but in a self respecting proud way. I am a daughter of God and as such I need to do whatever it takes to make sure that myself and others are not subject to the filth of this world. I know I'm not perfect in this thing, but it is giving me confidence that I can make a difference and take a stand against evil in my little world. In the grand scheme of things, it may not make a huge impact, but it just might.

So all you women out there, you MUST stand up for what is right in this world. There are too many loud voices screaming against everything we are taught and hold to be true. Just find something in your everyday environment that is contrary to the teachings of our Heavenly Father and take a stand. You don't need to be rude in your requests, but you must be firm. The Lord needs us to do this, your children and families need you to do this, and most of all you need to do it for yourself.

2 comments:

emily said...

right on sista! :)

erinmalia said...

good for you megan! (and not in a sarcastic way.) but it makes me wonder if i was going in the opposite direction when i'd ask my gym to change from KBYU to MTV in the mornings! but i think you're right. i should be better as noticing ways i can make the world more accountable for itself rather than just sighing and letting it all go.