Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Balancing the Budgeting




I was raised by a father who is VERY tight with his money.  He's so tight in fact that we often make jokes about it because it borders on the ridiculous.  However in his defense, my mother has said that he doesn't mind spending money, he just doesn't want to waste it.  I have at least inherited that quality.  I hate spending money if we don't have to, but I also want to enjoy life and not make it all about money. I will spend in areas where I think our time is more important then the money it would save us if we did it ourselves, where it's more important that we are all together as a family at a particular event, or on a bit nicer item because it's what I really want instead of the thing I'm settling for.

In the beginning of our marriage Greg was in charge of the finances.  This was good and bad.  It was good because he never got uptight about anything money wise that went wrong, but bad because he was so busy to really come up with and develop and good budget.  I know we over spent a lot in those first years.

When we finally moved to Missouri something on Greg's plate had to go so I took over the finances.  It really works out a lot better this way since I control and spend most of the money anyway.  Our budget has not been perfect and every year I learn new things to make it so that our money is all accounted for and we are spending within our means.

It's hard to spend within your means if you are not consistent and make it a priority.  There is always that "something" that you seem to need that pulls at the money and tries to wear down your resolve.  Since we save heavily we can dip into that fund if needed and sadly we do it more then I would like, but I'm trying to make that amount less and less.

This year has tested us even further.  Greg makes a good modest salary.  We had reviewed last years budget at the beginning of this year and made some spending priorities.  We identified areas where we needed to cut spending and I was feeling good about it.  Then our lovely governing body in Washington decided to increase Social Security withdrawal and there went an extra $200 a month I had been counting on.  That may not seem like a lot of money to most, but it is huge to us.  I just find it so ironic that with an increase in cost of living that he did get, we are actually making less.  Please remind me of how all that our leaders are doing is suppose to make the middle class life better?  I'm not seeing it.

I can't complain too much though.  We have been ABUNDANTLY blessed in so many ways and I know it is directly related to faithfully paying a full tithe, generous fast offering, and trying to contribute to one other area of need in our church.  I try to give freely to those in our sphere of influence when they need it and try to continually spend wisely.  I know Heavenly Father is blessing us for our efforts and I'm glad for a fresh start every month to try again to live within our means.

Happy May Everyone!!


1 comment:

Brittany Weaver said...

Megan,
I love reading your posts because our lives are so similar. Paying down student debts is the equivalent to having another mortgage for us, so I can relate to the feeling of constantly having to recommit to living within our means. I appreciate hearing that I'm not alone! It's hard!