Afternoons are when our house usually quiets down for a few hours. It is something I look forward to. I love snuggling on my bed with my kids reading them a book and then either putting them in their own beds or having us all drift of for some much needed rest.
Tele-Marketers must know this is going on in homes across America. It usually never fails that at least AT.LEAST 3 times a week this time is interrupted by a phone call. I have started to learn that if it's the house phone I don't run to get it. It helps that we only have one house phone and it's downstairs. 9 times out of 10 if I do decided to run for it, it's someone selling something or wanting me to donate something. It bugs!
This afternoon the kids were all quiet upstairs and I needed to get the house picked up because of things happening this evening. It was my only chance to do it. I was going as fast as I could in hopes that I might squeeze out a few minutes to drift off to dreamy bliss before we had to be up and running again. I was almost done when the phone rang. Bug!!!!
Several months ago our good phone died and so we now just have a cheap o' phone in. It doesn't have caller id (well it does, we just haven't put the battery in to make it work). In my annoyance at the disturbance I hastily picked up the phone and rather gruffly said, "HELLo!" There was a pause. Pauses are never good because it almost always means there's someone you don't want to talk to on the other end. Then I heard someone say my name and I could tell they weren't a tele-marketer, but I couldn't recognize the voice right away. It quickly became apparent that it was my neighbor who had been out of town a few days and had asked up to watch his dog. I must of come across as pretty annoyed with just "hello" because he asked me how I was doing - with an extra sound of concern to his voice that it came across as more than just a pleasantry. I quickly made a mental shift and the rest of the conversation went well.
I recon an apology/explanation is in order the next time I see him. As well as a trip to the store for AAA batteries.
2 comments:
I miss our old house phone that would announce who was calling, that was so helpful when running from other rooms so we could decide whether we should risk our lives to get there or not.
The question I have is, for anyone, when you see who it is on caller id do you just say Hi like you know who it is, or do you use traditional phone etiquette?
Loving the green outfit. Loving it! He is a leprechaun, first class. Did I spell leprechaun right? I don't use it much.
Post a Comment