Saturday, January 09, 2010

"Thank You Officer"

I secretly pride myself on the fact that I have never gotten a ticket.  I think it's genetic.  Neither of my parents have ever gotten one.  That's pretty amazing since they both turned 65 last month.  It also might be fear.  My dad threatened to take our licenses away if we got one.  Since we lived in a state where you couldn't get your license until your 17 that would have been terrible.  You already felt deprived.  While I never came close, I later learned my dad was bluffing.  My brother got a speeding ticket in Wyoming - when they didn't have speed limits so I'm not sure how that happened - and it never got taken away.  I've since learned that bluffing works as a parent.  I'd rank it up their as an important skill to have.

Don't be deceived by my perfect record.  That doesn't mean I don't speed.  You just have to play by the "rules" if you do.  There really is only one, ALWAYS, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT SOMEONE - ANYONE - IS DRIVING FASTER THAN YOU ARE.  That's simple, right?  It's kept me safe -  so far.

Unfortunately, I have had the adrenaline rushing experience of getting pulled over.  Once for driving with one headlight out, once for driving too close to the center line and not dimming my lights (I know I dimmed my lights), and most recently for not having a front license plate.

Here in lovely MO you are required to have a front license plate.  When we bought our van from our neighbors, they had never put one on.  How they never got stopped, I will not know.  I had known for months I needed to put ours on, but it was a pain since I had to go buy some special screws at the Honda dealer and it wasn't a priority.  Months went by until IT happened.  I was on my way to the YMCA for my morning workout when I passed the cop.  I knew the minute he pulled out behind me exactly why I was getting pulled over.  My heart raced.

In the way of policemen, he was very nice.  Fortunately I had the two kids with me and I think that helped.  He asked me if I knew I didn't have a front license plate.  I told the truth and said yes and that we just hadn't gotten around to putting it on.  He asked to see it.  Luckily it was under my front seat. 

While the exchange about the plate was nice, this is not why I thought he was so nice.  Our insurance company emails us our insurance cards every time they are due.  Very convenient in that they can't get lost in the mail, but not so convenient for those whose are sent to a husband's email that rarely gets checked.  When the officer asked for my insurance card all I had to give him was a VERY expired one.  When he asked me if I happened to have a current one, I told the truth again - no.  Telling the truth is always the best policy.

Luckily they are able to check to see if your insurance is current, even if you don't have a currnet card.  Why you need a current card then, I don't know.  The system is set up to get you screwed I'm convinced.  Amazingly he let me off the hook.  He really could have nailed me and given me a fat ticket. 

You can guess what I spent my time that afternoon doing.  I found time to get the needed hardware for the plate and I got a new insurance card in the car.  We also put a new one in Greg's car since his was expired over a year.  Doubtful that he would have gotten off like I did.

So why do I share this.  Well, so as to not forget again, I made myself the following note: 




Got to run and change my card out so as to not have to count on a nice policeman to let me off the hook again.

1 comment:

Britt said...

Lucky!!!! Derek actually got a ticket TODAY on the way to church. I had to go early so I was wondering why he wasn't there by the time sacrament meeting started. He was pulled over within seeing-distance of the church, and despite being dressed in a suit with Ethan and Reid dressed in their Sunday best as well, Derek's honest answer to the question "Where are you trying to go in such a hurry?" didn't get him anything but a speeding ticket. At least a few ward members got a laugh out of seeing him pulled over.
I think you're right, it must be in the genes, because Derek NEVER gets off the hook (actually, he did one time when driving the minivan by himself on the way to pick up the kids, and my theory on that is that the cop felt sorry for a man driving a minivan.) But do you remember in MI, Derek was on the verge of losing his license for all of his tickets... needless to say, that was a very stressful time in our marriage. :)