Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Mother-in-Law Thing




Our neighbor came over the other day to meet Christian and drop by some gifts. As we sat chatting we asked them what their plans were for Christmas. She said they plan to stay here and that her in-laws were coming. The conversation led to what I think most people ask when in-laws come into town. "How do you get along?" She raved about her father-in-law, but then gave the all knowing looks and scarce remarks on her mother-in-law.

Her daughter was with her and we all know it's not cool to bash grandma in front of the kids.



As I was making a pie and tackling my 20 lb. turkey for 4 for Christmas Eve, I began to think about the whole perdicament of mother-in-laws. Now I know that there are a fair number of truly psycho ML's out there. But I have to think that the majority are pretty normal.

Annoying?
Maybe.

Psycho?
Pushing it.



I would have to say that the majority of problems with ML's occur on the daughter-in-law/mother-in-law side of the equation. It is rare that I find a man who totally despises his mother-in-law.



The reason is simple. They both want the same man.



Now that I am a mother of 2 boys I will most likely at some point be labled the "psycho" mother-in-law. But can you really blame me?  

These boys are the apple of my eye.

My second and third boyfriends for life.

I carried them for 9 months, brought them into this world through blood and tears, nursed them through more tears, fed, bathed, taught, rescued, hugged, and kissed them for all of their life until "she" came along and stole their hearts.



Now even though it appears that I do not like the future "she" in his life. I do. I want her to come. I'm excited for her to come. Because, she will give me grandbabies and according to many reports, being a grandma is tons of fun. All the love and joy of children with none of the work.



(I am now pausing in my sleep deprived state to appreciate that future day.)



O.K., I'm back.

Where was I?

Oh yes, so my point is this.

Please don't hate me Miss future "she". I am not psycho. I love my boys very much and therefore you may perceive some of my actions as psycho, but they are not. I just never want to lose them fully to you, nor do I think I have to. You will always be his wifey and I will always be his mother. Roles that I'm sure neither of us would want to switch.



So when you want to think badly of me, curse my name and swear you will never set foot in my house again, please remember that I raised the man you love so very much and I hope that accounts for something.

And if you don't think so, you should -

Psycho!!!





*Disclaimer - I love my mother-in-law.  She is an amazing lady and by no means do I think she is psycho.

3 comments:

Crystal and Billy said...

You crack me up! So true....

emily said...

funny. and i agree, most MILs are not anything abnormal. i lucked out and got great in-laws.

but, yes, i can see it being a little hard to "give away" our boys someday. :( but, hey, i'm willing to send miles off to any girl that wants him RIGHT NOW. :) hehe, kidding.

kind of.

r.l.secor said...

really the only prob I see with my MIL is I am not sure she ever had any of those feelings for her sons - or if she did - she snuffed them out quickly - which explains my DH's low emotional I.Q.

I guess it is different too - thinking about our girls and knowing, HOPING, that they will be calling us for questions and talking and it won't be giving them away in the same way that it happens with boys.