In October of 2005 we traveled to Idaho Falls for Greg's grandmother's 90th birthday party. Since Ellie was there she got to meet all of her cousins, aunts and uncles, and other extended family.
Since Greg's family is so large on his mother's side, they rented a hall to have grandma's birthday celebration. They even had an Elvis impersonator. It was fun. I don't remember the exact reason why Greg and I stepped out for a second but when we did there was a view of the parking lot. There were some people commenting on the VERY large size of a particutar truck that belonged to one of Greg's cousins. I have never seen anything like it - at least not something of its size that a person drives around on a daily basis - monster truck rally material. I was disgusted. I turned to Greg and said, "That is why people hate America."
If you think I said it laughing, you are wrong. I was serious about what I said. I have seen things since that have made me think the same thing. Anything that is in extreme excess really makes me twinge a bit. The sad thing is that I know I fall victim to it myself often. An example, I'm already dreaming of the day I can have a bigger house, yet the house we live in now would house close to 5x, if not more, the current number of us living here in another country. We are a country of BIG - in almost every area.
When Greg and I first got married we had his TV from his single days. It was totally old school with no remote and push buttons on the side to change the channel. After about a year I begged him to go buy a bigger TV from Best Buy with a gift certificate I had gotten from work. He refused.
Since he was the Elder's Quorum president at the time he had moved a lot of people who he said had 3-4 TVs that he was sure they didn't all use. He knew there was a free TV out there for the taking. He dragged his feet on finding one and I finally gave him an ultimatum - one week to find a free one or I was going to buy one. Luck would have it, the first person he asked had a free one and he brought it home that week. It was an upgrade since it had a remote, but the screen was half the size. It worked for us.
When a family in our ward was moving and headed to Hawaii they decided to sell everything. I noticed they had a TV and asked how much they were asking - $30. Sold! It was bigger than our current one. An upgrade for a minimal fee.
Fast forward to this Christmas, the $30 TV still sat in our built-in bookcases for viewing pleasure. However, as I am aging and the intruduction of widescreen movie viewing, the picture was much harder for me to see. I secretly thought it was time to upgrade and when presented to Greg he agreed.
Off we went to Best Buy. We looked, we talked, we agonized, we bought. Now this is what sits in our bookcase
Can you guess what I was thinking the whole time we were in the store?
5 comments:
aw that's not too bad. :) at least it's not a mini-theater. :)
america is a very, very, very greedy nation. it will be our downfall if i can predict anything. :)
Don't judge me! :)
We have 4 TVs in our house (Billy's office, family room, loft where the workout equipment is, and our bedroom). But, in my defense, we do watch all of them, just about everyday. Then again, maybe THAT is worse than actually having four TVs....
Mat decided we should get a new tv last spring, I did not know much about all the "HD" sets out there, so I told him that I would leave the decision up to him--you can imagine how shocked I was when a 58 inch tv showed up from Amazon the next week! That is the last time I leave the choice up to him...
I am so flattered to have a reader...so naturally I had to come find out all about you and will probably spend the next hour of my evening reading as many posts as I can. Don't be creeped out. I like new people.
Funny story about the TV...husbands are funny and wives are usually right. It real purty.
I'm laughing. If the Tiltons have that TV, now I don't feel so bad about the fact that my bro-in-law gave the kids a Wii for Christmas and Santa also brought Ethan a Nintendo DS. We felt like we gave up on our morals this year.... I'm still not surrendering to video games, now I just have one more thing that I have to limit the kids on!
Post a Comment