Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Genes and Jeans


I packed up my maternity clothes box today. After having such a limited wardrobe for the last few months, I'm ready to see them go until next time. I can never justify buying new maternity clothes since I know I will only be wearing them for such a short time period. I am lucky in that I can get away with wearing normal bigger sized clothes up until a month or two before delivery. In the end I have to wear Greg's shirts to work out or to bed to fit over my belly.

I was excited to crack into my jean stash of normal clothes. I always have wishful thinking that all the weight gain was only in my stomach, but let's be real. I know I'm being too hard on myself, right? I mean, the kid is only a week and a half old, and I'm a bit sad that I'm not back into my jeans of prepregnancy.

Pregnancy can be cruel in many ways. While you are totally focused on the growing bubble out front, it tends to hide or should I say, downplay, the bubble growing in the back. It is not until the bubble in the front deflates like a balloon that you wish the same could be done for the bubble in the back. Sorry to say that only StairMaster, spinning, and pain will start to deflate that one. It really isn't fair. But when is life ever fair? Let's just say I love my yoga pants and wish I had about 5 more pairs.

Both of my grandmothers were very petite women. My cousin Jenny on my dads side and my cousin Suzie on my moms side inherited those genes. They seem to have skipped over me entirely. Other than the bridge of my nose, there is nothing petite about my body frame. I picked up every stocky gene along the way. There are definite pros to the genes I inherited. While I will never be a super fast runner, I am able to push the most weight with my legs that my trainer (I had a trainer for a few months) had seen among all her clients. It's too bad you can't openly declare that when you have to buy a size 12 instead of a 6 or 8. "I'm just really muscular, that's why my bootie needs more space." We can all dream right?

Fortunately for me a new year is right around the corner. So until then (and because I'm not allowed to workout anyway), I'm going to sit back and relax, eat good food, and know that very soon I will begin my quest (again) for a size 8 - but I'll compromise and settle for a 10.

No comments: