Let's face it, I'm bored to pieces with my blog. To be honest, it's become more of a burden then a creative fun outlet for me to share things with my cyber friends. In all truthfulness, do you all REALLY care what I did last weekend, week, month, etc.? I'd have to say no. Why you say? Because to be totally honest I don't really care what most people did last weekend, week, month, etc.. (Sorry to be so harsh, but you were asking why.)
Now I realize that blogs serve a multitude of purposes. Many use it as a form of a journal which I think is great for them. Heaven knows my journaling skills are sub par to no- existent at all, so for that reason I'm grateful to the blog.
That being said, I still think that the "journal" blogs aren't really truthful. I mean I realize you went to the fair and that your child had a great time riding the elephant, but what did you really think of the fair? Do you deep down secretly hate fairs because really they are a total waste of money and they play on some hidden childhood fear that you have never really taken the time to face?
I know, totally random, but do you get my point?
I want to hear what you are thinking, feeling, fearing, loving, struggling with, triumphing over, bored/excited about, craving, loathing, seeing, hearing, BECOMING.
The blogs I truly enjoy are the ones I read and catch a brief glimpse into the writers soul - who they are and who they are trying to become. They share their true emotions and thus become much more real to me. And being real is something I value and appreciate more than anything. It's the only way we as humans truly connect on a much deeper level.
I had this friend once who was happy all the time. I have NO problem with happy people, but it was how the happiness was conveyed to others that was a real relationship killer in my mind. To her, her life was perfect. Her family was perfect, kids, husband, parents, sisters, brothers, etc. I guess we are all entitled to think that, but when it is at the expense of others, it's hard to handle. She had this way of talking about how perfect everything was in her life that you almost felt foolish or less of a person to convey anything in your life that was less than perfect. And if you did, she would blow it off and go right back to talking about her perfect life. That gets old really fast. Now I don't think we all need to be "Debbie Downers" to connect with others, but I do think we need to be realistic and empathetic. It's o.k. to admit that your kids drive you crazy at times and that you want to run away. I don't think there is a normal mother out there who can fault you for that. But by admitting it, you have connected on a level that doesn't necessarily make others think you are a bad mom, but a real person who has real emotions, struggles, etc.
So, from now on I will no longer be "journaling" about my life as I have in the past. This will be my forum to tell you what I really feel and who, for better or worse, I am becoming.
8 comments:
Megan, I'm with you. One thing that drives me crazy about other blogs is how they portray their life as being perfect. Well, mine is far from perfect. At times I have the cutest and best kids ever and then a minute later they turn into the devil and I wonder why I wanted to be a mom. I'm glad you are doing that with your blog. On my blog I do both. I write about events because I'm going to print them off and use them as a scrapbook. I just don't think I can keep up with my scrapbooks anymore. On the other hand I use it to say what's on my mind. I don't do it often just because a part of me is afraid of what will really come out. I'm going to try to do it more because it helps to get it out and like you said it's fun to connect with others that way. I'm excited to read your blog.
at first i thought you were resigning from the blog world and i was sad. but then when i saw what you were going to do, i was super excited. i SOOOO appreciate the real, brutal, honesty that is life. i feel like i try to do that on my blog, although it doesn't always come through. you've inspired me to do be better at it. i'm excited to see what you have to say!
Good for you Megan. I am so nervous to do that. I don't know if I want everyone knowing my real thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement.
Megan-yes, I still check up on you guys even though we haven't talked in forever. I check up on you still because you and Greg really left an impression on Trent & I. We STILL talk about how cool the two of you are. I really appreciate this post because I feel the same way, yet I do exactly what everyone else does when I blog. Thank you for always being real and reminding me that what is important is who we are becoming!!
Sorry Meg! I appreciate your insight, but I'm gonna keep on posting on what I did last weekend. I leave the deep stuff to be discussed with close friends and family.
To each their own, right. I enjoy reading about the adventures my other friends and family have, and I created my blog for friends and family to be able to see what we are up to. I'm not trying to portray that we have the perfect family (no one does) just that we are enjoying the journey that we are on together. I hope the change in direction with your blog is a good one for you. That is the wonderful thing about blog's...you can create one that fits your needs and do what you want to it.
Megan you are hilarious, beautiful and so very honest - I've always liked that about you. I look forward to sharing in your rollercoaster ride - I really should talk to you or spend more time with you anyway.
I think I try to be honest on my blog sharing the good and the bad and the crazy, angry, frustrating. But there is some stuff that truly I just can't. I hate that I have things that I really can't just talk about - sometimes it makes me crazy. I know there are people that would benefit from it - heck I would I would benefit from it...
I just love that there is one more way for a home body like me to connect with other great women, women who I might not ever have the guts to talk to in real life, or to have the conversations about real life that I need so very much.
Just be you Megan - write for yourself - create for yourself - be real. It'll be grand!
well i doubted if i should even write anything - as i will be going against you and the majority of comments - but i feel i should.
truthfully, megan, i felt you were harsh to those people (me included) who post about what we did last weekend, last week, etc. there are people who DO care what my family did - my parents, my in-laws, my husband (who misses some of our little day-to-day moments), my children, and ME.
i love my blog because i blog about the little things (like the fair) that happen in our lives - because they have a big impact on my children.
Post a Comment