My in-laws came to visit a week ago. For some, I know that might not be a good thing in their life, but I can honestly say I LOVED having them here. They are such great people and I get along with them really well. I was a bit apprehensive about having to fill the time with them everyday for a week, but it went by so fast and was so easy. I've decided to document why I like each of them so much.
Bill:
My father-in-law is about the most chipper and happiest guy I know. He is really easy going and just happy with whatever we do. He is so easy to talk to and great with my kids. We went to the Botanical Gardens one day and he was always getting lost because he was reading every sign about every plant. I just had to chuckle because it made the stories that Greg has told me of there childhood and being in Europe where Bill would stop at every marker that told of some historical fact for them to read, come to life. I can't imagine all that he must know. I definitely do not have that trait. If it's not quick and to the point, I move on.
I am very grateful to him for his positive traits that he has passed on to his son. I see a lot of Bill in Greg and I don't think there could be a better compliment to a father than that his son tries to be like him and is in many ways.
Coy Ann:
I can rest assured that probably no one else has my mother-in-laws name. It is very unique, but I love it. I'm going to be very straight forward and say that I really love my mother-in-law. I know not all women feel that way about their mother-in-law, but I do. She is a very matter of fact lady, but not in a judgemental way. That is one of the traits I love about her. She doesn't like to gossip, but if you ask her about something and she has an opinion, she'll tell you. I really respect that in her.
One of my favorite memories about her is when she and Bill came to visit right after I had Ellie. Since Ellie was in the hospital we had to go and visit her everyday. I had Ellie on a Tuesday and this exchange probably happened on a Friday. My mom had dropped Coy Ann and I off at the front of the hospital since I was still in a lot of pain and not really up to walking very far. I was not walking really well either and would kind of shuffle along bent over a bit. As we were walking in she very matter-of-factly told me that I was walking like I had a load in my pants. Most women would not have found that comment humorous, but to this day I just laugh and think it was the funniest thing. She was right in a lot of ways. She wasn't saying it to be rude, she was just making a statement - saying what was on her mind and I love her for that.
I had the best time chatting with her while they were here and learning about her family and the way she grew up. She is the oldest of 7 children and lived on a farm for much of her life. She knows how to work and values the things they have been blessed with. She is frugal and very conscious about money. I love that.
She was kind enough to help me with my Halloween costume. She is an amazing seamstress and I am grateful for how patient she was with me and willing to help.
If it's any gage to how much they mean in Greg and my life, we both got pretty teary when they pulled away off to visit Doug and Tiff in Texas. I rarely see Greg that emotional. It's a true testament to the great people they are.
Thanks Bill and Coy Ann for the amazing week. Please come back soon!
2 comments:
good in-laws are vital to a good family, of course, since they are family. :) i'm glad you lucked out (i did, too.)
love the picture.
They are really neat people; I have always REALLY liked them!! :)
Post a Comment