Friday, October 31, 2008

Abortion











“If it seems more horrible to kill a man in his own house than in a field, … it ought surely to be deemed more atrocious to destroy a fœtus in the womb before it has come to light.” John Calvin



There are a few things that can cause my blood pressure to rise and this is one of them. The right to choose argument has NEVER made any sense to me. Therefore, you can imagine my extreme happiness when THIS article appeared in our church's monthly magazine for October. The LDS church is pro-life and I love how Elder Nelson has addressed this topic.


I'd like to briefly discuss some of my favorite points:


1. The right to choose was taken when the act to create life was entered into. Basically, when one decides to have sex, there is the choice. It has always boggled my mind as to why this never seems to be brought up when discussing this issue. It should come as no surprise to anyone that sex=baby.
In discussing this with Greg he played the devil's advocate for sake of argument. He said that a woman can complain that she has the right to terminate the pregnancy because she carries the full burden of having the child and the guy is long gone. Thus arguing he has all the fun and none of the responsibility. I can see that point, but again, when the act was performed the woman knew she was the only one at risk of getting pregnant. I have also thought what a wonderful thing it would be if we as women would band together and instead of acting like the victims - like the ones whose rights have been taken away - rise above and take responsibility for our actions where the men may not. I can think of no greater act of honesty and responsibility a woman could perform in her life then to claim the life created and protect it at any cost. Just think of the actual power that would create among women.

2. Adoption. This too is rarely discussed in pro-choice circles. To me this is a win win win situation. (A) The mother takes responsibility for her decision to enter into a situation that created life, (B)the unborn child is allowed to come to earth and get a body as well as enter into a loving home with a mother and father, and (C)couples who cannot have children are blessed with a child to nurture and love.


3. "To deny life to an individual because of a possible handicap is a very serious matter. Policy consistent with that logic would dictate that those already living with such deficiencies should likewise be terminated. One more step in that tragic train of thought would lead to the conclusion that those who are either infirm or inconvenient should also be eliminated. Such irreverence for life would be totally unthinkable!"
I love this paragraph in the article. ALL life is important and sacred to God and should be treated as such by us.


With the upcoming election I have watched and read about many topics of interest to the American people. All hold importance in our lives. All will have reaching effects in our futures. However, I truly believe that unless we are a nation who takes responsibility for the most innocent among us - those who are truly without a voice, the solutions for other problems facing us will never present themselves. I have little hope for people budgeting their money correctly, cleaning up the earth, or defending against any form of evil that seeks to destroy us if we do not respect our own bodies and the bodies of others - born and unborn.

8 comments:

marlene said...

Hi guys, happy halloween! No complaints about the blog as a soapbox idea---so long as you still post photos of the kiddos. As for the hot topic, don't you think that the emphasis should be on creating/using resources to reduce the number of abortions instead of punishing the women (many of whom are undereducated minorities)that get them? Just trying to muddy the waters a bit for you swing state votes. Our bushes are still in need of your TLC--come and visit.

Sarah said...

I can't help but get fired up either. I loved Elder Nelson's article in the Ensign. I've been thinking about the same thing a lot lately. Especially when I read a blog and a lady wrote this, "Let me begin by saying that I am planning on voting for Barack Obama. Feel free to comment about how inexperienced he is and how you think it’s a mistake but just be aware that I am not persuaded by “arguments.” I don’t “watch the news” or “read the paper.” At first I didn’t want to vote for him because he smokes. But he quit so now I’m on board." What the heck?!!!! Go ahead and vote for Obama - but for better reasons than that!!!! A lot of people think that this issue isn't important in this election. This issue is always important. Especially now when some states - Colorado, Oklahoma, and South Dakota are all trying to pass legislation that in some way or another goes against Roe Vs. Wade - so there is a very good chance that it will be under scrutiny again. And, yes I do think that creating/using resources to reduce the number of abortions is very important. I'm very glad that I live in a state where there are many pregnancy crisis centers (most privately run) are around to encourage women to go for adoption or teach women how to be self reliant and care for their babies. I can't help but think that most women who are old enough to have sex (undereducated minority or not) know that a baby could be the result. I would have voted Libertarian in this election if it weren't for this issue. Bob Barr didn't come out and say what he believed but I think he would leave it up to states to decide and I think it needs to be more concrete than that. As much as I love and have used gov't resources (Pell Grants, Wic, Medicaid), I feel that government needs to get smaller. I agree with the Libertarian logic that if we are given more tax credits for charitable donations that more non-profit and privately run organiztions like pregnancy crisis centers will do what we want - and we can choose where our money goes instead of the government spending our tax dollars on things like Planned Parenthood (who encourage abortion as the first alternative to an unwanted pregnancy). I cringe when I think about the federal deficit and our country's debt and how it will someday have to be repaid by us and our children. I also can't stand the idea of my tax dollars going toward funding abortions (Planned Parenthood). When I found myself pregnant and Aaron was without a job soon after, I looked for ways to get maternity care. I checked out Planned Parenthood. What about adoption being the first alternative istead of jumping in and saying it's o.k. to abort? It's just plain wrong. -o.k. maybe I should blog about this...

Yvonne said...

I love that talk as well. There is NOTHING that gets my blood boiling like women saying, "its my body, its my choice." Because Elder Nelson is 100% correct that the right to choose was taken when the act to create life began. When life is created, it is no longer just a woman's body - she is carrying another human being. Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

And adoption - why is that not addressed more? My life would be incomplete without my Aspen - what if her birth mother would have chosen another route and denied my beautiful, amazing daughter life? Adoption is the greatest win-win situation there is. :)

Anyway, I could go on and on...I basically just wanted to say I appreciate you posting about this. As far as this election goes - what does it matter if someone may have "better" economic policies and plans for lower taxes (if any of that stuff he claims would even happen - that's a whole nother sopabox) if he has no moral standing whatsoever. What kind of a country can we expect to have if its being led by someone with NO respect of life. Moral issues are just so much more important than any of that other stuff. That's all it is is "stuff." Human life is sacred and anyone who doesn't recognize or respect that should not be in any position of power.

Hope all is well with you. :) Tell your mom hi!! :)

erinmalia said...

of course i completely agree with everything you say. chuck and i recently talked about how soooo many people these days just don't want to take responsibility for anything they do. whether it be cut you off in traffic or have an unplanned pregnancy. that's certainly one thing we want to teach our kids.

(and those pics of jack are adorable too.)

Dawn said...

Thank you Megan. This is also a hot topic for me as well. I am surprised at how many members of the church say they are pro-choice now. I am so confused at how that is in harmony with the gospel?? I too agree with Marlene that we need to create and use resources to educate women on other choices. I think I will post Edler Nelson's article on my blog! Thanks!

Becky said...

Amen! You nailed it on the head! For a woman to say that it should be her decision because it is her body, I think that is very self-centered since it always comes after the fact that she has already consented to having sex. Her decision was already made. Once that baby begins to form, its right to life is no longer a "choice" for the mother.
Happy voting today!

Britt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britt said...

I woke up really depressed today after the election. I am willing to support Obama, and pray that he will bring the unity that he promises, and hope that he will follow through on what he promised in his speech last night, to listen to our voices especially when we disagree with him. Unfortunately, I think blame lies even more with the American people than with any one candidate (or the President Elect); they are merely giving us what "we" want; here in CO, the Amendment that would have confirmed that life begins at fertilization, failed by a landslide--75% to 25%. And while Coloradoans voted against human life, we voted for increased gambling limits in our mountain town casinos. Quite a commentary on our values.
Derek is disgusted with the doctors who perform abortions, knowing that they have taken the hippocratic oath to "never do harm to ANYONE." He said that anyone in the medical community who has done an ultrasound or heard a fetus's heart beat knows that it is a living person, and it is ABSURD to pretend otherwise.
As for the "live birth abortions", this atrocity is something that so many people are oblivious to... if it isn't blatant murder, I don't know what is.