Wednesday, May 07, 2008

WHAT?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ..IN THIS DAY AND AGE?!?!?

So as many of you may or may not know, I love to cook. I love to experiment and try new recipes. I also like to bake, although I don't consider myself a great baker. But, I think I'm a pretty good cook. At least that's what people keep telling me, so I'll believe it until otherwise informed.

So last week I was on one of my baking/cooking adventures in making whole wheat bread. It is a skill I am trying to acquire and so far so good. I've only had a few "mishaps". Well, in my quest for the perfect bread I used my Kitchen Aid 5 qt. mixer to help me. Love this mixer!!!! It is my most loved, valued and used piece of machinery in my kitchen. I was testing it too it's limit with the heavy thick bread dough that day. It did a great job and my bread turned out splendidly. But alas, when I went to use it again a few days later to make rolls it gave me nothing. At first I thought it was a breaker, but after some testing it proved to be that the mixer had given its all and last effort for the wheat bread a few days earlier. Sick is how I felt.



So jump ahead to this week when I finally found the time to track down places to call to see if I could repair my dear mixer. I looked on Kitchen Aids website and got the number of a local repair shop. After talking with a very typical repair man (the kind you know has dirt under his finger nails that will never come out, unshaven, and a smoker - all determined by only talking to him) I was quite disappointed that it would probably end up costing me $150-$200 to get it fixed. "Not happy Bob, not happy." On a whim, and remembering what I believed at the time to be a very uninformed store clerk 5 years ago when I bought the mixer, I decided to call Bed Bath and Beyond to see if they could help me out. I called and explained that I had been making bread and the machine had stopped working and was wondering if there was anything they could do for me. To my utter AMAZEMENT they said, "Sure, bring it on it." Are you kidding me? I was cautiously optimistic. So later that day I ran to the store and carried in my old mixer. Without asking my name, what the problem with the mixer was again, nothin' - the store manager walked over, picked out a brand new updated, higher wattage, $400 mixer and gave it to me no questions asked. At that moment I felt I was in the movie "Miracle of 34th St." where a lady walks up to a manager at Cole's Department store to tell him that she would always be a Cole's shopper because their Santa Claus was telling everyone where to get the best deals on Christmas gifts. In that very instant I became an exclusive shopper to Bed Bath and Beyond for all of my kitchen shopping needs. They stand by all of their products 100%. The sales lady said that if in a year I'm sick of the color I can bring it back and they will give me a new one. If it goes out on me again, they will give me a new one again. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!





So listen up all you kind blogging friends, you must never shop anywhere else. A store that is willing to do that in this day and age deserves all the business we can give them. Can you really justify going anywhere else? I certainly can't!

5 comments:

marisa said...

That is so cool! I wish I had a kitchen aid from there so I can go get a new one too! Really I just wish that I had one!!!! It sure would make all that kneading easier...please share your whole wheat bread recipe.

Terri_B said...

Wow! That is so GREAT! A brand new mixer that is even better than the one you had! You really can't beat that.

You've changed my mind! I will def. shop there from now on. That is just phenomenal.

emily said...

wow, that is truly amazing.

here's hoping that my kitchen aide will break down soon! i could sure use a new one. . .

i think we are getting a BB&B here soon, so i think in honor of you i will HAVE to buy something there. :)

Elisa said...

I knew they had a great return policy, but that is absolutely incredible! I always save the 20% coupons I get from there. I have yet to get a kitchen aid, I always hint around to Nathan, that would be the place to get it!

Elisa said...

P.S. If your cooking is anything like your mom's, then you definitely are a great cook!