Monday, July 30, 2007

Welcome to MO!

This past Saturday was great. We were able to spend the whole day together as a family. We got a lot of things done for the house and were able to have fun together. I just love days like that. It is not often that I feel like I'm productive and having fun all in the same day.

For the fun part, we decided to go to our County Fair. I had seen it advertised in the paper and thought they had some interesting things. We went during the day to see the "dock dogs". Have you ever seen them before? I've seen them on ESPN and wanted to see it in person. It's a competition where dogs run along a dock and then jump into a lake/pool and are measured on how far they jump. The furthest jumper wins. It was amazing to see, but HOT sitting in the blazing sun. Ellie only lasted a few jumps before she wanted to go see other things. We toured the rest of the facilities, and unfortunately I wasn't greatly impressed. The highlight of Ellie's day was the pony ride - way over priced but worth it for her.














Ellie on "Big Red" - not daddy.
"Fly Fluffy! Be free!!!!"


Since we paid a fair (no pun intended) amount to get in, we decided to come back in the evening for the demolition derby. Now, that was an experience! Talk about redneck central. If you have never seen one, pencil it in as something you must do in your life time. It was crazy, barbaric, and looked like a whole ton of fun. I actually think it would be the most fun if you were able to be smashing cars with all your friends in them. Not that I want to cause any harm to my friends, but things always mean so much more when you do it with friends. However, I don't think I'd be much good since I'd be laughing the whole time and that takes away any ability I have to do anything effectively. We didn't stay for the whole thing as it was packed and we wanted to beat the rush. What we did see was worth it and I look forward to my next chance to see one.
"Redneck Gladiators"
Ellie a little worried.

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

that's getting me excited for my county fair. fun times! and i've never been to a demolition derby, but i believe every word you said about them.

emily said...

i'm so glad you had a good day - while in missouri! yeah!

and i'm so glad to see some pics of ellie - sheesh she is getting big, and continues to be cute, cute.

ben has been to demolition derbies and really likes them, too! funny.

Sarah said...

Demolition derbies are great! I'm glad you got to experience it. I went to one years ago. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. We'll have to find a fair to go to down here.