So I am now the official owner of my first dog!! Greg grew up with dogs, but I never had one (that is a long story), so now we bought one together. Even though I love animals, I'm very picky about the ones I get, so when this little guy came along I was thrilled. We really got him by luck - if you want to call it that.
There was a family in the first ward we lived in here that had us over to dinner one night and they had these two adorable Shih-tzu's. I thought they were so cute and even said to myself that I would love one of them. A few months later I was joking with some of the kids and said that if they ever wanted to get rid of one of their dogs, we would take him. They said they were thinking about it, so I let their parents know we were interested. Well, the end result if obvious. He was actually my favorite of the two, so it worked out perfectly. He is about 7 months old and great with Ellie. He loves to lick her face, which she is still getting used to, but they are doing really well. The real question is the cat. They had a brief encounter today and I haven't seen the cat since. I know it will take some time, so hopefully all will go well.
I love his shaggy look, but we are going to get him groomed soon with a more summer friendly cut. We also will be working on some obedience, although he is really good so far. We have to train him on the invisible fence, so that should be interesting. Once he is fully potty-trained (not accidents yet), we will be set.
It's so strange how he just fits in. It's like he was meant to be our dog all along. I'll give a report on if I still think that's true in a few days once we are in more of a routine.
Smiles!
4 comments:
awwwwww, he is SO adorable! i love him, too. :)
he is super cute! good luck with all the training. it's certainly not a small task.
as far as training goes, i'd recommend just getting a book (your library should have some). there are so many little things that c and i would never have thought of. not that we've been that consistent doing them, but at least we know what we should be doing!
Normally I tell people who are thinking of getting a dog they are crazy...don't do it! I have to admit that you got one really cute dog! Have fun!
Post a Comment