Monday, July 15, 2013

Too Much Even For My Hormones

I laugh at the irony of my last post and how I stated how good I've been feeling.  To be fair, we all have bad days and today just happened to be at the top.

We are in crunch mode around here trying to get a bazillion projects done.  We have ripped out the carpet in our two front rooms and had it replaced with hardwood.  We also tore out all the carpet on the stairs and in the upstairs landing and have had it replaced with hardwood.  It looks awesome and after tomorrow when the final moldings go in, I will sigh a little with relief.

Unfortunately that is not where we stopped.  We had all the kids rooms repainted and while the furniture was pulled away from the walls I decided to replace all the baseboards.  Then as I looked at the carpet, I just decided we needed to go for it and replace all of it in the kids rooms and the family room.  That will all be going in on Friday!!

As a result of all this, we have been living with furniture piled in our master bedroom and the kids just sleeping in one room on their mattresses for about a month now.  I'm ready for things to return to normal.

Since no renovation project seems to go off smoothly, we discovered when we pulled the carpet back in the dining room that we had water coming in at one corner.  It's not pouring in, but does get wet when it rains.  The contractor has left a piece of flooring out and not done all the moldings so we can try and figure out where it's coming from.  Both he and we have soaked the house on the outside from top to bottom but it doesn't get wet when we do that.  VERY frustrating!!!  We have to wait until it rains again to see if we can figure it out and rain is not in the immediate forecast :(.....

In addition to all the stuff going on IN the house, we have been trying to get things done on the outside as well.  We need to find a good landscaper and we needed to replace our shutters.  I hired a guy to do the shutters and he did half the job before running into a problem that stems from the builder of this home not making the opening big enough for a standard shutter.  Fortunately, I seemed to have come up with a good solution which Greg executed this weekend so we only have 3 more shutters to fix and get in place.  Then it's onto painting the front door and deciding if I want to go a bit non-traditional in it's color (I'm not sure my brain is qualified to make that decision right now).

To add to all the fun, our van has been giving us problems that have put it in the shop 2 times now and fortunately I had the inspiration to take it to the Honda dealer who has given us a loner car.  I'm not complaining about my ride in the 2013 Odyssey and they can take their sweet little time for all I care.  We are going on day 4.

I have been dealing with all of these things just fine, but two things today put me over the edge.  One I just can't talk about but the other one is FLEAS!!!  In the 10 years of being a pet owner we have never had fleas, but of course, 3 weeks before the baby is set to arrive BOTH my animals have fleas!!!  I thought the dog just had allergies but after a few nights of him being up in the middle of the night eating himself I took him to the vet.  Cat and dog have been treated and I am sitting at the desk in my kitchen with piles of sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. waiting to be washed.  I itch just thinking about it.  Fun for us, we get a daily regiment of vacuuming for a month and washing a lot.  Forced OCD - I guess there could be worse things.  On the upside, fleas have only been spotted on the animals and not anywhere else.  Oh and remember the new carpet that's going in on Friday - we cannot have fleas with new carpet, although that may help with the rip out of the old carpet (crossing fingers)!!!!

So if you will excuse me, I think I'm going to go cry!  Oh wait, I don't have time for that, I have baseboards to paint!!!

1 comment:

emily said...

i can't believe how many projects you do! can i hire you - post-baby of course? :)