Friday, October 19, 2012

Becoming Friends With a Duchess

I don't think I was unique as I anxiously awaited on April 29th 2011 for the news feed and pictures of one of the most highly anticipated weddings ever.  Who wouldn't be excited to see the future king of England marry his future queen? My anticipation was worth the wait.  The weather was perfect, the venue stunning, and the bride gorgeous.  How could one not wish to have been an honored guest that day?

While attending a fairytale wedding on a royal stage is beyond me, I have boldly moved onto the next best thing - friendship with the royals.  How glorious to enjoy all the perks of royalty without all the hassle.  I could easily convince myself that those photographers were taking my picture instead of Kate's.  What fun we would have frolicking about the castle, planning parties, and having play dates together - when the little prince or princess comes along of course.  And an added perk, my kids would all have English accents - another dream of mine.

While day dreaming of such a friendship I have begun to ponder the true meaning of friendship.  Friends are very important to me.  I try very hard to be a good friend.  I have failed in some relationships, but as a whole I hope many will regard me a true friend.

When I was growing up I prayed constantly for a true bosom friend.  I wanted a girlfriend who though like I did, one I could laugh with, one I could feel 100% like I could be me, one I could call on in a crisis and she would have my back, and vice versa.  While there were many good people in my life then, none quite met that criteria.  Then I went to college.

My mom had always said I would find my truest friends in college.  She was right.  To this day some of those girls are my truest friends.  Ones I can pick up the phone and continue a conversation from months ago like we had only talked hours earlier.  Thinking of them fills my soul with love.

Unfortunately marriage and jobs have moved us far away from one another so I have to settle for long spaces between phone calls and visits.  I have also had the opportunity to meet and make new friends in every place along my path since.  Many of these new friends hold the same high place as my college friends.  How I wish I could bring them all with me.  How I wish I could have them as my neighbors.  I guess that's what heavens for.

So to honor those friends from my past, present, and future I would like to start documenting about them here on my blog.  I don't know how often I will do it and it will be in no particular order.  I just feel like it's something I'd like to do.

My first choice comes not only because of the beauty of this friend both inside and out, but I thought it fitting for events soon to transpire.

Alison moved into my ward about a year and a half ago.  She had recently ended a marriage that was toxic in more ways then one and had most of us been asked to endure what she did, I doubt we'd be able to put on the happy face she seemed to present every time I saw her.  I remember before I knew her better hearing her bear her testimony in church.  I knew a bit of her story and was in awe at her grace and resilience.

God puts people in your life for a reason and God knew that I needed Alison.  He knew her experiences would help me in some of my experiences.  I am always amazed at how that seems to workout.  She listened, gave advice, and provided a much needed service to me always willing and with no complaint.  She was a tender mercy.

As fate would have it my other friend (I'll talk about her another time) had a single brother who just happened to be an amazing catch and one thing led to another until they fell in love and the rest is soon to be history as they say.

While in the eyes of the world Alison is no princess and her fiance is no prince, in my world they are and this Saturday they will go to a beautiful "castle" on a hill and be sealed together as man and wife for all eternity.

And this time, I get to go.

Whenever I talk
 about Alison I always tell people, 
"Think Kate Middleton
 and you will know what she looks like." 
 She's gorgeous!!!!!

2 comments:

emily said...

what a beautiful tale!

yes, your friend is gorgeous and i wish the very best for her and her new husband. Yay for happy. . . beginnings. :)

Amie Orton said...

WAIT just a second. Is that non other than Erin Rodabaugh's bro?! I hope so! ssoooo great! I just got caught up on your blog didly. I love the post on Christian. It's cool to know you before he was in your life and when you describe him I can see just what a blessing he must be to you guys. I LOVE your other to fireballs. LOVE THEM, but every house needs balance right? Christian is so super handsome and looks so sweet. I love that story about the airplanes. How neat.
You make me miss Missouri.