Thursday, May 26, 2011

Discovering the Stars


So much to blog about and yet I just don't have the desire to.  In short......  I ran a marathon, we saw the space shuttle liftoff, and we took our kids to the ocean and SeaWorld.  It was so fun and so needed.

For quite some time when I was younger I wanted to be an astronaut.  What an exhilarating thing to see earth from a totally different vantage point.  To be free of earths' gravity and "fly".  We originally planned our trip to see the space shuttle, but as we all know, life happens and we had to cancel at least 2 times and so we just planned to have a fun time away with our kids.  Fortunately, "life happened" for NASA as well and so our stars aligned for May 16th at 8:56am.  It was exhilarating, scary, and amazing all rolled into one.  We paid a hefty price in green, but I would do it all again.  It was worth every $$$$$.

Man has learned how to harness some of earths' power in such amazing ways.  The brightness and thunder of the space shuttle lifting off was incredible.  Something you can only appreciate in person.  The speed at which man propels themselves out of the grasps of our worlds hold is amazing.  At 8:56am they were here, at 9:04am they were in space.  It was gone before we could fully comprehend what we had witnessed.  

Watching my children grow up is much like watching the space shuttle.  There is so much waiting and anticipating, patience and frustration given in these younger years but I know at some point I'm going to be standing on the shore of my children's lives wondering how they were here and then gone so quickly - so soon before I could even truly comprehend what I had while it was going on.

While I tinkered on the computer tonight Jack came down several times.  His last pleading was to PLEASE come look at the stars.  I finally obliged.  We slipped out onto are darkened deck to gaze at the heavens.  He was amazed by how many he could see, I didn't know how to tell him we could only see a fraction because of the city lights.

There are so many times I wish I could escape the things that I think are important now and see the bigger picture.  To look at earth as a whole as the astronauts can or to see all the stars in the heavens without the impediment of city lights.  To see my children for the blessed and amazing people they are instead of the people who keep me from having a clean house, a full nights rest, and spare time to complete unending projects.

Fortunately children come with build in programming to allow us to have those "whole picture" moments with them.  Jack did it again for me tonight.  Heaven was on that deck as we pressed our faces together straining to see the twinkle in the sky.  And it was way more powerful than anything man made.

5 comments:

emily said...

lovely post megan.

r.l.secor said...

Megan I am SO GLAD that you were able to see it and get such a cool beautiful picture! Worth the wait.
It seems like you were much closer than I thought you would be.

Did you get a new camera? 'Cuz that's a great shot!

I learned from my sis when she was here that you can not adjust the aperture on the D-40. You have to have any higher series camera to be able to.

Even still after using the more expensive camera, I really prefer the D40. I guess because it has a fast reaction time and I don't HAVE TO mess with settings to get the picture that I want. BUT, if I want to mess with settings, like ISO, I can.

I feel like I haven't seen you forever!

r.l.secor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

Ha! Becca I so wish that was my picture but if it was I wouldn't be here cause I'd be dead (too close for sure). I took it off the internet but thanks for thinking I could take such an awesome picture!

Suze said...

Wow, Megan. This was a beautiful post.

I also wanted to be an astronaut for a long time as a kid. Then I realized I'm not very good at a math and also am kind of a scaredy-cat. But I think you would make an excellent space explorer. :)

I really love your analogy of watching children grow up to watching the space shuttle. Beautiful.

Also, I'm so very glad you could go on your trip and were able to see the space shuttle also and that it was all worth it and wonderful. You guys deserve it!