In the spring I got that nagging feeling deep inside to train for a race again. Since I've done a couple races the "nagging" was accompanied by a heavy dose of reality. Reality being that I know the time and pain involved in training for a big race. Fortunately a girl in my ward wanted to do it as well and that gave me the idea to open it up to all the women in my ward.
We started out with close to 12 ladies running. We started off running small distances and gradually built up. Some of the ladies got pregnant, others got injured, and others had life which made committing to one more thing just too much on their plate - oh how I can relate!
Our goal was to run the Kansas City half marathon. By the time the race arrived 5 of us were left. As the race was about to start and I looked at these women I was so grateful for the friends that they had become. For the determination and commitment they had given to something several of them said they could never do. There was a feeling of complete joy as I saw them each cross the finish line and accomplish a monumental goal in their lives.
One thing I love about running is the parallel it has to lessons in real life. Some of these women couldn't even run a mile when we started. In orchestrating this group I have come to realize all they needed was someone to believe in them. To constantly tell them that they could do it and to reassure them and give them the support they needed.
Isn't that what all of us need - everyday? Someone to believe in us. Someone to constantly give us support and tell us that we can do it. This has been an amazing lesson for me of the power each of us has to positively influence others lives for good. No matter what someone is going through, what they have done, or the life they have chosen we need to believe in them. We need to believe in the Light of Christ that lies in each of them and the eternal potential all of us possess. We owe it to others. We owe it to ourselves.
Great joy ladies. I always believed in you - ALWAYS!
And I love you all!
Becky M., Me, Sharla H., Jennie Y., and Erin R.
3 comments:
what a great story and a great lesson.
i wish i could have done it with you and your amazing friends. maybe sometime we'll be able to run again together?!
did ya'll make headbands together? I like those!
And so does that mean you finished first since you said you "enjoyed watching every lady cross the line?"
:)
So cool. You go girls.
Way to go! I can't wait to get back into it..
Post a Comment