Thursday, February 04, 2010

High School Musical

We have been sick in our house for the last few days. Jack started with it and Ellie and I have both had it the last few days. Fortunately Greg and Christian haven't gotten it. When Ellie woke up with a sore throat this morning I made an appointment to check for strep. Thankfully it came back negative.


For her having to endure the dreaded throat culture I took her on a McDonald's run at 10am for a soda. Since Greg had stayed home with the boys I decided to run to the post office for stamps. Our route took us by a local high school. As we got closer there were some kids walking for what looked like a PE class along the sidewalk paralleling the road. I observed them as I passed and was saddened to see the last girl sobbing.


I normally would have just kept driving, but I couldn't. No child should be crying like that and have it go unnoticed. I flipped the car around and pulled up alongside her to see if she was o.k. She had seemed to pull herself together a bit by the time I reached her, but I still asked. Like a normal teenager she said yes and I asked if I could do anything for her (what I could have done I don't know, but I needed to ask). She of course said nothing and we went our separate ways.


As I pulled away I started to think about how cruel adolescents is and why it has to be so hard. Why do we put so much emphasis on that part of our life when it really has no bearing on the future? At least not the friends of your future.


With the exception of one or two people, I have little to no contact with anyone I went to high school with. With the advent of Facebook I have reconnected with some, but to say they are a part of my life is a stretch. I remember when I graduated I thought I would never have friends like I did then, and now they seem only to be distant acquaintances. I don't blame anyone for the lack of contact. I went out west from New Jersey for college and my path in life has taken me to places many of my classmates have not gone.


If I could go back to that girl on the road today and tell her anything it would be this:


"Pick your head up and don't be ashamed of who you are. You are the one who needs to be your dearest friend. You shouldn't have to beg people or change for anyone in order to be accepted. Those who are your dearest friends will cherish you for who you are and what you have to offer. You may think that your life depends on the here and now, but there is so much more out there for you to discover and become. You will look back on this time and it will be insignificant and small in the grandeur of life. Look forward and never doubt yourself. You have so much to offer and your significance is greater than you could ever imagine."


I guess in many ways I wish I could have told myself that at that age. And yet the truth is it's just as applicable today as it was then.






1 comment:

emily said...

that was kind of you to stop. and i am thrilled to no longer be in HS. yuck. it is a rough time in our lives. and someday we'll get to re-live it all again via our kids. let's hope for the best!