I have learned over the years that I do not have a body that is going to be stick thin. If I did, I would have an anorexia problem. I love to eat too much, so no worries there. However, I have always wanted to look toned. I have come to realize that I have a very muscular body, it's just covered in a yummy frosting layer of fat. I'm telling you, there is a 6 pack in there somewhere, I can feel it.
During the last few months I have had periodic break downs of discouragement with how hard I feel I've been working without the enemy needle on the scale giving an inch in the negative. Greg keeps reassuring me that I look good and I'm getting there. But come on. That's his job. It doesn't count unless someone who doesn't see you often, or doesn't know your daily agony, comments on how good you look.
When I lost the weight with Ellie I felt like no one noticed. It was so frustrating. But then we ran into an Elder who had served in our ward right after I had Ellie and I hadn't seen him for about a year. He told me I looked great and asked if I had lost weight. Some may have been offended by that, but I walked away telling Greg he was my new favorite Elder. Good for him for noticing.
Well it finally happened again today. I was in my step aerobics class after having run 3 miles when a lady from the class, who I've never talked to before, told me I looked like I had lost 20 pounds (it's only been about 12 pounds, but I'll take 20) since she first saw me start exercising. I wanted to hug her right there and declare her the kindest woman on the planet. I called Greg later to tell him I'd found my new best friend. It was such a pick me up. If nothing else, a motivation to keep going.
10 comments:
oh man, i totally can empathize. i have been struggling with rhett's weight since he was born. it's coming off, but extremely slowly. but congrats on the 12 pounds!
I wish breastfeeding was a better help for me too. I think it may have helped me with Claire but not until she was about a year old did I notice a difference. By then I was ready to wean! Congrats on losing 12 lbs and - if that is your arm in the picture - way to go, Muscles!! I need to get working out. It is so much harder to find the time with two kids rather than one. Do you have a double jogger? I wish we could go running together again!
That is my muscle. It only looks that good when I flex. I don't have a double stroller. I go to the YMCA and put the kids in childcare while I run on a treadmill. Not the most ideal situation, but there has to be compromise somewhere.
dang, honey, i want an arm like that. i am SO where you are - only it's been almost a year for me. i feel that life just ain't fair to me. i work out much more than my husband and eat much less (except for those dang chocolate chips - could that be my problem!?), yet his stomach and arms are so much better looking than mine. but looks can be deceiving . . . i had ben do my "ab" workout the other day and he couldn't do it. i can. but i still have the flab and ben - he has a super-sexy flat stomach. :) this is a case where i would much rather LOOK better than BE better. urgh. :)
if it's any consolation... i don't lose those last 10 until i am completely finished nursing. grant is well on his way to making that happen... little stinker!
Good job Meg! I too have been working out like mad trying to get my last 10 lbs off only to find that the scale hasn't changed. I watch my diet too, so I totally know how you feel. I finally quit nursing after 16 months and hope it will help. I'll let you know. Keep up the good work. It will pay off.
I lost 10 lbs immediately after I stopped nursing Jackson! This probably sound aweful, but I am not going to nurse as long this time around and that is one of the reasons! I got into THE BEST SHAPE when I was in Michigan and it made such a difference to have you as my running partner! Good luck and stick with it!!
PS. Do you have a permit for those guns?!
Wow, your arms look great! I'm assuming your left arm looks as good as your right. :)I'm glad to see that having more children makes all of us compromise... didn't you use to say that you just COULD NOT run on a treadmill? :) Way to stick with it!
YOu've got a great arm there! :) Good job on losing what you've lost! I am excited to get the go-ahead to work out at my 6 week appointment! I'm READY!!! :)
Hey...when are you guys headed out here? I'd love to see you!!! :)
Post a Comment