
I have enjoyed hearing from so many of you since the birth of Jack. We are truly blessed with many great friends and family. He is growing fast and becoming more and more alert everyday. We are so happy to have him in our family.
With all the well wishing we have received there has been one underlying thing that has come up again and again. So many of you are just astounded by the, should I say, strength/awe impressive ablility I had to deliver a 9lb 10oz. baby. While I will gladly take the praise, it has made be wonder if there truly is a difference in the pain one experiences with a 9 lb.er vs. say a 6 lb.er. Has anyone out there had one of each to compare the pain difference? I'm very cursious to know.
Other than the discomfort of being pregant with a 9 lb.er vs. a 6 lb.er, I truly have thought the pain is no less or more in delivery. Most of my pain came from the contractions, and I would have to think they still would have been that painful with a 6 lb.er. Most women ask for the epidural long before they know the birth weight of their child, so I think delivery is more about pre-pushing pain then during pushing pain.
Lest you think the pushing part was easy for me, I do remember experiencing the "ring of fire" spoken of as I pushed his head and then shoulders out. That didn't feel too great, but I'm thinking a women who delivered a 6 lb.er could have one with a very big head that would make her pain more than mine was. I really think the actual pain of delivary comes down to head size, not weight size. Granted, bigger baby - bigger head, but maybe not always true.
Love to hear what you all have to say about this. And to first time moms who have yet to experience the joys of delivary - you can do it!!! Don't be discouraged. It is an amazing experience. I just tell everyone to think of the worst possible pain they will every feel and you are pretty much there. If it seems to be much worse when you finally experience it, you didn't think worst pain. Good luck!
7 comments:
as a first-time mom, i have to say that "think of the worst pain you can imagine" isn't very encouraging!
the prego shot is really good. at what point was that taken?
I think the shot was taken right after Thanksgiving, or right before Christmas. Not exactly sure.
yes, the photo is excellent.
erin - it is the worse pain. but obviously worth it since i don't like labor at all but have done it 3 times. you forget very, very, very fast. like the instant you hold the babe in your arms.
and, sorry, megs, but my kids were all pretty much the same weight, so i can't help ya out. but i'm interested in reading other's comments.
I had c-sections, so I can't help much with that one. I did have labor pains though, and I would definetly say that it is the worst pain I have EVER felt.
Let me just say that both of our kids have really big heads.
FYI we're moving to Atlanta. We'll have to come stay w/you on one of our drives enroute to Utah and Idaho.
Pushing any size baby out of a hole that is normally a centimeter or two wide is hard to comprehend. Isn't the human body amazing?? But still... almost 10 pounds... come on, that is just darn impressive. Way to go!
Claire was 6 lbs 8 oz. and Noel was 7 lbs 11 oz. I did have a more painful labor with Noel, but I didn't get the epidural until the last minute because my labor went so fast. He was easier to push out though by far. Almost two hours with Claire, only 5 minutes with Noel. I'm just so grateful I haven't had to experience delivering a 9 pounder. Good job Megan! :)
Post a Comment