Monday, August 27, 2007

2nd Sleep Dreams

Do you know what I'm talking about when I say, "2nd sleep"? It's when you wake up about an hour before you usually do and then dose back to sleep. I love 2nd sleep. It always seems deeper and more restful to me. I also love it because I have some crazy dreams. I really need to start a dream journal. I think it would be fun to look back and see what I was dreaming about a few months ago and if it really did relate to my life at the time.

Well I know the dream I had last night deals with my current life. As you all know we have acquired a cute little dog named Griffin. For the most part, I really like him. He is great with Ellie and in my opinion can stay just on that fact alone. However, he has had some issues that we have had to work on, number one being that he occasionally still has an accident in the house. He was good for a really long time and then he started having problems. There was some discipline involved and he is doing better.

His newest vice is that he chews on our shoes and his rug in the laundry room. I was not very happy with him when I saw that. I guess I can't really blame him. He is still a puppy and we all know they love to chew. How can you really fault him for doing what he's "suppose" to?

Anyway, my dream. So my dream this morning during 2nd sleep had to do with him. In my dream he had turned into a big St. Bernard. I guess it's not too much of a stretch since his coloring is similar. As a large St. Bernard he was peeing and pooping all over my house and you can imagine the quantity jump from his current size to a St. Bernard size. He also had gone in and chewed a piece of brand new carpet to tiny particles. To say the least, I was not happy and just started hitting him. I was really going at it because I was so frustrated. It was somewhere in the middle of the beatings that I woke up, quite relieved that the dog hadn't really done all I thought he had, and that I hadn't really beaten him. I'm sure there's some Freudian meaning to it all, but I really can't think that it goes much deeper than the fact I have occasional frustrations with my dog.

If nothing else, these dreams give me a glimpse of things I perhaps need to work on or things that are consuming my thoughts. Some time I'll write about my Oprah Winfrey dream.

3 comments:

Emily K said...

While I don't know what your dream meant, I do understand how dreams give some interesting insight into what is stressing you then. I know my dreams are always, especially lately, stress filled about what is currently bothering me and underlying areas too. I hope things get better with Griffen. It is great to be able to see what you are still doing. Hopefully we can come visit you sometime. Have a happy day!
Emily King

emily said...

when i saw that first comment, i was like, "i didn't comment yet!" funny.

anyways, i love reading and hearing other people's dreams. dreams are just crazy! and i'm glad you didn't beat up your dog.

erinmalia said...

and i'm sure that greg is glad you didn't beat him up!