A few nights ago the social media circle I’m in was a buzz
with excitement as many of us lay in wait for the first glimpse of a much
anticipated baby boy. News had trickled
down that his arrival had finally occurred but we waited for official
confirmation from his parents. I must
say, it was akin to Christmas.
As I drove that night in silence to pick my parents up from
the airport I reflected on why it is that the birth of a first baby is so
universally exciting and heavily anticipated.
I remember how excited I was to have our first. What would they look like and who would they
be? The possibilities were endless. Yet having done this 4 times now I have to
say that my personal anticipation and excitement for each subsequent child has
actually grown, while outsider anticipation has decreased. I don’t view this phenomenon as unique or
wrong I just was wondering why. And then
it hit me.
It is undoubtedly exciting to see what a baby will look
like, what their name will be, etc., etc.
But really what makes everyone else so excited for first time parents is
not so much who the baby is but what they bring with them. And what every baby brings with them is a
road, a road that can only be understood and started down by each individual
parent when that child finally arrives.
The road is not something that can ever be adequately
described or captured even by the best of historians or photographers. The most magnificent views and vistas along
it’s path will be ones only meant for the parent’s eyes and ears, tucked deep
into memory for them alone. It’s a
personal and sacred road to be traveled by each parent with the guidance of
only the acquired cherub.
The road they bring is certainly filled with sleepless
nights, dirty diapers, and meltdowns but it’s also brought with smiles and
giggles that melt bad days away, hearing the most clever and funny things
anyone has ever said, and seeing on a daily basis the cutest, handsomest, and
most beautiful person you could have ever imagined.
When delay in this journey befalls anyone seeking to travel
it, the anticipation is even greater, for both parent and friend. I would only be able to guess that the road,
once acquired, is just a bit sweeter as well.
It’s only fitting and deserved.
And yet to the seasoned traveler who knows how amazing this road is for
the new parent they also know any initial experiences are really the proverbial
tip of the iceberg with things still to be seen and experienced far greater
then any rookie could imagine.
When a first is born we all draw a deep breath and
collectively shout with excitement as if at the beginning of a great race. We want to get the new parents off to the
best start possible and encourage them to enjoy it all because it goes by so
fast. When subsequent children are born
there is still that excitement but it’s subdued in a way because there is a
collective reverence from a seasoned bystander to a seasoned parent of knowing
where the road will lead them. A knowing
smile and words of encouragement because the veteran knows where they're going
and where to look and stop for the most beautiful and memorable views.
So with love and a deep breath, welcome to the road B1 &
B2. I am excited to see you begin your
journey with Mr. “V”. And while I’m sure
you may already know this, but just in case you haven’t been able to put your
finger on it, this road has a name and while unique and individual in many ways
to just you, its name is universally known. It's called “True Love” and its views will
never disappoint.
No comments:
Post a Comment