My computer screen reads the time of 12:21PM. I am currently sitting in a quiet house. All of my children are asleep. The boys have not even been out of their beds yet this morning/afternoon. Jack was awake for a brief while but grew tired of asking me to come get him and has fallen back to sleep. Christian hasn't even had a bottle yet. Ellie lays asleep on the couch. She should be in school, but woke up throwing up. Why couldn't she have done that on Thursday and had 5 days to get better before having to return to school from all the snow days? Murphy's Law I guess.
I've decided she's growing up too fast. Her clothes, mannerisms, and speech are becoming adult like so quickly. There are pros and cons. This morning I found a pro.
Ever since I can remember she has been terrified of taking baths and showers. She has hated to get water in her face. It's something way beyond a childish fear. I have even contemplated taking her to get professional counseling. I must admit I have little patience for it. We work with it though. We have adapted.
As I stumbled out of bed at 6am to help her in her sick distress I never would have thought I would picture a break through I had some how missed. Her hair is long again and not the best to have when you are heaving over a toilet seat. She unfortunately got a bit in her hair. Before today she would have begged me not to give her a bath but in reverse, she refused to go back to bed without one. As I ran the shower head over her hair and kneaded in the shampoo and conditioner there was hardly a whimper or a statement of refusal. Just quiet sitting and acceptance of the process at hand. I was truly shocked. Could this truly be my daughter? I even asked her if she was an alien look alike. Only a chuckle emerged and we were onto the dressing phase.
Could it be that she has truly "outgrown" her fears? I'm cautiously optimistic. We will have to see what tomorrow brings. For now, I'm going to enjoy the quiet.
1 comment:
lonnnnggg sigh for you - the bodily fluids - again!
The growing up moments are brilliant beautiful small reliefs for all our worries about how they are turning out and are all the things we are teaching and doing amounting to anything and will they be able to even butter bread on their own - and then they do. Sigh. May there be many more (mixed in with the tears and wailings of course!)
Post a Comment