Flathead Lake, Montana By Bob Brown
Two weeks ago I knew this day would come. The return from vacation. It's a love/hate relationship really. I love being away. It allows my mind to escape the mundane of everyday and the ruts I seem to get myself into while at home. It gives me excuses to not call anyone, not look at the bills and budget, and not have to continually clean, cook, and run errands. It's an escape. A much needed one. It reinvigorates me to be a better mother and wife. It teaches me lessons of where my true loyalties and joys lie. It's a self therapy session of sorts. It is so mentally healthy.
On the flip side, I do love coming home. I love pulling up to a clean house. I love putting everything away from the car, allowing the kids to run freely with no restrictions, and to have us all sleep in our own beds. I love the brief period of organization and control I feel before people know we are home and life starts to edge towards the ruts. I'm going to fight them this time - HARD. I have heard this much throughout my life, but with events leading up to this vacation and the hours of discussion in the car with Greg I am more dedicated to what really matters. My kids and Greg are it. Truly IT!!! My house is mine to have and share and be with those I love. I need to protect it and the little time I have before babies crying and tiny footsteps are something of the distant past. My greatest hopes and desires are contained in each of them. Why does life and the world not let you cherish and protect that? Why are we always trying to find happiness and success outside of our homes? Why are we constantly trying to please others at our own expense? Many thoughts and feelings.
On a bit lighter note, Greg and I made a list of things learned along our road trip. Here they are for your enjoyment:
*Our kids are AWESOME!!!
*Mid-size town America is where it's at - truly ideal.
*Jack loves cows - at least pointing them out.
*The size of a a single windmill blade is amazing.
*There's no one I'd rather be with then my family - including extended.
*Duct tape and zip ties will fix almost anything.
*No amount of money will buy you happiness.
*Of the 10 most beautiful places we saw, none of them were in Missouri.
*Don't eat a large bag of assorted dried fruit in one sitting.
*South Dakota gets a bad rap.
*Jack is capable of throwing rocks into water for days on end.
*Mt. Rushmore is definitely worth a look.
*T-Mobile coverage does not exist in the North Mountain West.
*Our kids are AWESOME!!!!
*Hwy. 212 in Montana is the loneliest and most beautiful stretch of highway in America. (A definite must do - but only during the day.)
*The battle of the Little Bigorn was in Montana - NOT South Dakota.
*Jack LOVES motorcycles (aka "cycles")
*Extended family is definitely worth getting to know.
*Getting outside with the kids is important.
*Ellie is capable of playing Wii Mario Kart without stopping until she starves to death.
*Good friends are good to see, no matter how long it's been.
*Yellow cars are really had to find.
*Ellie prefers her left butt cheek when riding a horse.
*No matter how old you are, your mom will still tell you to go to bed.
*Christian is the BEST baby EVER - but we already knew that.
*We're pretty sure my mom wants to eat us - why else would she put so much effort into fattening us up?
*Our kids are AWESOME!!!!
AND...
...more to come soon.

3 comments:
glad that you learned so much and had a great trip! i could have told you about the whole bag of dried fruit. :)
and from what i met, your kids are awesome.
I also relish that "anonymous" feeling that you get being ON vacation and those dear hours (or sometimes days!) when you return and nobody knows. I keep it secret as long as possible. :) Sounds like you had a great vacation- I'm so glad!
Glad to hear Ellie is addicted to Mario Kart just like Luke! I'm not so worried anymore.
What a great trip. We leave tomorrow for WA and are heading through ID and MT. Exciting!
Post a Comment