Monday, June 15, 2009

Things That Make a Mother Smile


We live at the YMCA. Every morning, anywhere between the hours of 9 and noon I can usually be found there torturing myself with about 100 other people who feel the same need for pain.

It's our routine. My kids usually do much better if their day starts off there. The days we don't go seem to drag and they are much more "needy". The YMCA is a good place to get all the wiggles out.

As a mother, I have very mixed emotions during this time. I relish in not having my kids while I watch a show on the TV as I slog away at 4 miles, but all the while I miss my them. I'm always so happy to see them when I'm done.

Today when I went to pick them up I saw something that made my heart swell. I stepped just inside the big room where there must have been about 30 kids. Neither Jack nor Ellie had seen me yet. As I watched them Jack approached Ellie, most likely showing her a toy or acknowledging the fact that she was some one he knew. With no prompting or expectation, Ellie looked at him, walked up to him, gently took his head in her hands, and kissed the top of his head. She then released and watched him run off to find a new toy. It was the sweetest exchange I have ever witnessed. It was pure love. I could tell it came from her heart. Even though the room was full of noise and chaos, time seemed to stand still for me in those short moments and everyone else melted away. It was one of the kindest acts I've ever seen.

To be quite honest it marked a big milestone for Ellie in my mind. She was never the most affectionate baby. Fiercely independent and bold. It has been nice to see her soften and desire more love and affection - as well as give it. She is such a great big sister and I'm so proud of the way she fulfilled that role today.

5 comments:

Kara and Chant said...

That is really sweet. She is a beautiful girl. I have had a few moments like that and it is truly special. Thanks for sharing.

colleen said...

Love the post! Moments like that are the BEST and I am so happy that you take the time to notice and record it. Helps to slow me down. :)

p.s. I'm coming out of blogging hibernation, so it was fun to stop by again...

Britt said...

You know, she owes that to you. Where else would she learn it? So sweet. I think one of the best parts of having children is seeing how the experience affects your older children. Luke and Janie are becoming very close lately, too, and I especially appreciate that he will just giggle when she slugs him-- I know that won't last long.

Yvonne said...

That's so sweet. Your kids are so cute.

barkerfamily2000 said...

Your kids are so cute Megan! Last I knew you had only your 1st child. Now your pregnant with your 3rd. Where does the time go?