Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Martha, Martha, Martha



Even though I find myself sucked into the "Martha Movement", I've always felt that Martha Stewart was way out of touch with all of us "normal" folks. It really became clear to me the other day. I had the rare opportunity to sit for a few minutes and watch some of her show. She is doing this thing where she informs all of us "stupid" people about 20 more things we all must know how to do. On this particular show, she was showing how to make an egg sandwich. (I guess this is essential if you really like eggs.) Anyway, as she was demonstrating, she commented how great this sandwich is with a freshly laid egg. It took me a minute to process what she had just said, and then my eyes started to roll. Now I know where eggs come from, and I'm sure a freshly layed egg is good, but how many of us watching have access to a freshly layed egg? "Oh sure Martha, let me just run out back to my chicken coop and grab one!" The closest I've ever come to a fresh egg is the dairy isle in the supermarket. Don't you think it would have been a bit more helpful to tell us how to get the freshest egg at our supermarket? Although, I don't think there is a real science to it other than looking at the date on the container. Maybe I should start my own top 20 - "The Top 20 Things Martha Needs to Know About REAL People". Or maybe it's time for me to get my own chicken.

3 comments:

emily said...

smile. :) ben REALLY wants to have chickens one day - if we ever do, i'll send you a freshly-laid egg.

erinmalia said...

yeah well i NEVER want to have that easy access of chickens. they are gross. and please, like my pallet (pallette?) would even know the difference. silly martha!

Suzie Petunia said...

Isn't she something? So detached... so oblivious to reality... so rich.