Anyway, I was reading my friend Emily's blog (see link to right) where she was talking about always getting locked out of her house, car, etc. and thought I would share the topper of getting locked out stories - the best part is that it happened to me personally - for anyone who would like to visualize (please don't try to hard).
Some of you may have heard this before, but some may not have.

THE LOVELY WEIMARANER!!!

So when I lived in Pullman, WA and worked at the vet school, I often would house sit for other techs and doctors to watch their animals while they were away. If any of you have been to Pullman, you know it is not that big of a town, so most people live out in the country - as did this doctor. She lived way up on this hill in Idaho (about 15 miles outside of Pullman). While her closest neighbor was not too far, it was still a walk. She had two dogs an old Italian greyhound (smaller than a greyhound) and a Weimaraner (one of a German breed of hunting dogs having a smooth silver-gray to dark-gray coat, a cropped tail, and blue-gray or amber eyes - and I should add, a very tiny brain).
So I got up one morning, let the dogs out, fed them and then got in the shower. When I came out of the shower, I saw the Weimaraner and she had that sheepish look where you know they've done something wrong. Sure enough, she had done a big job right in the front entry way. I was so irritated! Come on, this dog should not have been doing this. She was at least 3 and house broken. While this was her first accident, she had been annoying in other ways, so I was not happy. I was running late so I hastily scooped it up and ran in out to the trash in the garage - with the lovely dog hot behind me.
It was not until I was half way across the garage and I heard the door close that I knew I had forgotten a very important item - the key. I ran back praying I had popped the lock, but that was not the case.
Now it wouldn't have been that bad if that was the extent of it. It was either early spring or fall and so it was cold outside and raining. What made matters worse was that I had only put my pants and bra on. So there I was in the rainy cold, on top of some mountain, with a dumb dog, in my bra, hair up in a towel, and no shoes - locked out!
The dog was extremely happy because she thought we were going to play now. I don't think so!!!
I had remembered the doctor telling me that she put her spare key under a cat figurine on the front porch, so I ran to get it. No such luck - the key she had given me had come from there. So then I started doing what everybody does when they get locked out, I tried every window and door and prayed really hard that one would be unlocked. No luck! The place was Ft. Knox.
By this time I was down at the basement windows and could see down the Mt. and I knew that my other doctor would be passing soon on her way to work. I prayed she would see me. She soon came along and I waved crazily, with no luck (she later told me she had this impression to look at the house, but didn't).
So I did the only thing I could. I prayed - again. I had ruled out going to the neighbors and said I would break a window before I went to them. I prayed that something would be unlocked that I had missed and then started trying again. I am here to tell you that prayer works! The second basement window I tried again opened to my amazement. I had just tried all of them and they didn't budge. So thankfully Heavenly Father was looking out for me and saved me a ton of embarrassment. It is really a blessing since when I told the doctor about it when she got back, she was shocked that one of the windows was unlocked since they are pretty vigilant about locking everything.
So the next time you get locked out you can think of me and at hopefully tell yourself it could be worse because you could be locked out in your underwear, no shoes, and with a dumb dog.
Smiles -hope you got a lot from this!
1 comment:
i loved it, megs. very funny. with how things are going for me i'm sure someday i'll end up in a similar situation - locked out with hardly any clothes on! haha. hopefully i'll remember that thing called "prayer" too. :)
Post a Comment