Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Birthing of Lindsay Kathleen (Part 3)




In this season of Thanksgiving, I felt it was finally time to share the story of my greatest blessing this year.  I have thought long and hard about whether or not I should share this story with the masses, but for some reason, fairly early on in my pregnancy, I felt strongly it needed to be shared.  This is a very tender and personal story and I hope you as the reader will treat it as such and that perhaps it is just what one of you may need to hear.  This is a story of miracles and a story of God’s awareness of each of us. It’s a story of the power He and His Son have to heal and make right the things that seem to go wrong in this journey we call mortality in ways we can't explain.  It is proof that God still talks to men and women today and that He is in the smallest of details and loves us more than we can imagine.  It’s a story of hope – and we could all use a bit more of that in our lives.




Since I had had a previous miscarriage, my doctor set up an ultrasound at 6 weeks.  Within minutes my heart sank as the technician asked if I was sure on the date of my last period.  From my previous experience, I knew they tended to only ask that if they weren’t seeing what they were supposed to.  She informed us that I was measuring at 5 weeks and they could detect no heartbeat.  No heartbeat at 5 weeks is normal, but I just knew this was headed down the same road as the one before it.  This time I didn’t handle it as well.

To say I was devastated is putting it mildly.  I was sad, deeply and gut wrenchingly sad.  I didn’t understand.  I was trying to do that which I felt God wanted me to do.  I was trying to expand my family and bring precious Spirits from the veiled world into this one so they could gain their bodies and become more like God Himself.

When I get deeply sad and down, I withdraw.  I don’t answer phone calls and I try to avoid others so as not to have to explain and share my sadness with them.  I’m not sure it’s the healthiest of practices, but it’s how I cope.  I told only a few.  This was not a situation for the masses to know and weigh their opinion on.  I was too fragile to be put before an innocent misunderstanding panel. 

In the weeks following the ultrasound I got up and did the only thing I knew how to do, I went running.  It had saved me before, maybe it would save me now.  I remember that day very clearly.  I picked a treadmill in a different row and at an end I don’t normally run on.  I stepped heavily onto the machine and plugged my earphones in and turned the channel to watch the latest recipe creation of Rachel Ray.  The belt of the treadmill started to turn faster and faster and my legs churned to keep up.  My heart was SO heavy with sadness and I just didn’t know what to do.  I prayed for understanding and guidance.  Surely there was a purpose.  Surely there was a reason.

*************************************************

I believe in Divine revelation.  I believe that God speaks to man today.  While I have never heard a booming voice from the heavens or seen angels before me, I have felt and know that I’ve been guided by an all loving and all knowing Heavenly Father.  I have felt His calming influence in times of uncertainty and have been able to step with confidence into a darkened path because He has told me to do so.  Of His ability to guide I have no doubt, but up to this point, of His ability to heal I was still uncertain.

I view mortality, the life we are currently living, as a time of testing and proving.  Objectively, I can view some of life’s experiences as being simply brought on because we live in a mortal world, not necessarily because God makes them or wants them all to happen.  They are simply results of being mortal.  Results of agency we all fought for before we came.

Until that day on the treadmill, I felt much of life’s sorrow was to be taken and born by us to teach us and mold us.  I still think that’s true.  But what I experienced that day has me now knowing that in an instant, God, through His Son Jesus Christ, can take that sorrow and swallow it right up so that it is completely and utterly gone.

It came like a wave of water that washed over me.  It enveloped my heart and literally washed away all of the sorrow while simultaneously whispering words of direction, guidance, and future promises.  It was so clear and so real, that I immediately stopped running and I ripped the earphones from my ears as to not have it’s power diminished by the trivialness of worldly things.  From that moment on, I was healed.  The deep abiding sadness was gone.

I still had 4 more weeks of weekly ultrasounds, ones that did eventually produce a weak heartbeat, until the struggling life within me finally gave way to the limitations of mortality.  I knew it was God’s plan for that little one to not progress quite yet.  I knew their mortal tabernacle was not ready.

I resigned.  My “fight” with God was over.  With new faith I forged ahead and prepared myself for the Divinely appointed path.  I patiently waited and conceived again, in November, with a projected due date of August 15th, 2013.



No comments: