Monday, November 24, 2008

Bacon? Chicken? It's all the Same!




There are ranges of emotion in a mothers life - many coming fast and furious, several in a day. This weekend has been no exception. The source - my first born. I love this girl to pieces. She brings me my greatest joy and at times my greatest frustration and sadness. Like last night for example. She wanted to watch a movie. The only approved TV watching on Sunday in our house are things we call "Jesus movies". She can watch anything that revolves around the Savior and church. By 8pm (aah, probably a reason for the problem) she was having none of that. It was 101 Dalmatians or bust. And bust she did.

The amount of rage and frustration someone in such a little body can exhibit is truly amazing. At times I find it comical and have to hide my smirks. Last night the opposite occurred. I found myself tearing up, but then pulled it together to take control of the situation. Someone had to be the parent. Please give me credit for not totally loosing it. In retrospect, I'm proud of how I handled the situation. It ended neatly with reading books together in bed and with many "I love yous" being said. All seems to be back to normal this morning.

While situations like these occur often I'm glad they do not overshadow the great moments of parenting. My favorites have to be when your child repeats something you often say, but think it goes unnoticed. Saturday brought the best of these out.

Greg and I went to the temple. We had to drive separate cars because he needed to go to work after to catch up on some things. As we were pulling out of the driveway Ellie was asking why daddy was in a different car. I told her it was because he had to go to work after mommy and daddy went to the temple.

To this she replied - very matter of factly,

"Oh, so he can bring home the chicken."

That's my girl!

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

i want to know how you were able to bring her from her inanity to sanity?

bring home the chicken is awesome. (any time i type chicken it comes out chuck.)

Jen said...

I totally understand those break downs. We have them often. Like you some times I just want to lose it. I had one of those days today. So, how were you able to bring her out of it? I want to see other tricks because I need new ones.

Britt said...

I love it!!! She is so dang cute. Luke better still be first in line.